- Concert Band is for those students with none to some experience on a band instrument. Major focus points are posture, breathing, tone production, reading rhythms accurately, reading musical notation and developing listening skills. Students in this ensemble are encouraged to support their individual progress by taking weekly private lessons and attending a summer band camp. The Concert Band performs literature at VBODA grade levels 1 and 2.
- Symphonic Band is for students who have completed Concert Band or have otherwise demonstrated that they are ready for this class. Students in this class generally have developed technique well beyond the average first year student by the beginning of the year. Students in this ensemble are highly encouraged to support their individual progress by taking weekly private lessons and attending a summer band camp. Symphonic Band performs literature at VBODA grade levels 1, 2 and 3.
- Wind Ensemble is the most advanced full band group at Williamsburg Middle School. This ensemble performs at a very high level and studies and performs very challenging music. Prior to placement in this fast-paced and intense ensemble, students must:
- Consistently display a mature and respectful manner.
- Demonstrate an intrinsic motivation of individual progress and responsibility.
- Consistently be a positive and willing team player.
- Demonstrate reliability by attending all prior rehearsals, clinics and performances
- Achieve performance level and experience commensurate to this ensemble.
Students in this ensemble are expected to support their individual progress by taking weekly private lessons and attending a summer band camp. The Wind Ensemble performs literature at VBODA grade levels 2, 3 and 4.
The Wolfpack(Pep band) is the music spirit leader ensemble of
Williamsburg Middle School. This band raises the
energy and brings a sense of pride and excitement
to the Williamsburg community. This group consists of all WMS 7th & 8th grade band students.
The WMS Percussion Ensemble 78 is a group that meets everyday as an elective course for 7th & 8th graders. The course of study includes fundamentals on a large variety of percussion instruments. In addition to serving as the Drum line to our Wolfpack Pep Band and the percussion section to both our Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble, The WMS Percussion Ensemble 78 studies and performs percussion ensemble literature. Past performances have included performing at the VA Day of Percussion held at South Lakes HS and the annual APS Percussion Ensemble Concert.
The WMS Friday Morning Music Club presents “pop up” performances on Fridays at 7:30am. Each week brings a variety of music performed in a variety of locations at WMS. The Club season starts in December. The locations and hints of what is to be performed is announced on Thursday afternoons via:
on & @WBurgMSBands wmsbands